Nottinghamshire Police Band can directly trace its origins to the Nottingham
Borough Police Band, formed about 1887. The first recorded engagement was
performed at the Mayerís Annual Garden party.
In those days the police Service was very much run on military terms and the
band was formed on the same basis as Military service bands, with a mixture of
woodwind and brass instruments. Players were regular and retired Police Officers
and others invited to assist. There were no female instrumentalists. (Female
members appeared on the scene in the 1960ís)
Very little Music was officially written for Military Bands and the repertoire
was based on arrangements of orchestral works adapted for this type of Band.
Engagements took place throughout the year and during the summer months the
band featured in many of the parks in and around Nottingham.
Invited guests conducted the band, but in 1896 the first regular Police Officer
was appointed to that post. In 1897, Queen Victoria decreed that Nottingham
would become a City and the Band was officially known as the Nottingham City
It was during this time that the then Chief Constable, Mr Cloy regularly
conducted the Band at many of its functions.
For many years the band continued to feature very much in Nottingham social
life. There was a short break in continuity during the First World War, but
later continued to function up until the start of the Second World War. Many
regular Officers were drafted into the armed services, but the Band continued as
the Nottingham City Special Constabulary Military Band.
After the war, under Captain Popkiss the Band continued and a succession of
retired Army Bandmasters were appointed. A short-lived Nottingham Police
Orchestra was formed in 1948.
In the 1950ís, the Band continued to be part of the Nottingham scene
regularly taking part in radio broadcasts and annual Charity Concerts, with
guest compeers such as Michael Aspel, Hughie Green, Shaw Taylor and many others.
In 1968 the City Police and County Police Forces amalgamated and the Band
continued as the Nottingham combined Constabulary Band with great demand on its
Nottingham is twinned with the City Of Karlsruhe in Germany and the Band has
been guests of the Karlsruhe police Band on several occasions and attracted
great interest and acclaim in that City as it performed to the delight of local
cityers. The Karlsruhe police Band that led to many long-standing friendships
have made return visits to Nottingham.
In 1998 the Band changed its name to the Nottinghamshire police Wind Orchestra,
reflecting a more modern approach to Banding. A long tradition of service to the
community will continue with the now named Nottinghamshire Police Band, under
the baton of Gary Glover, Associate of the Royal College of Music, a serving
officer of considerable musical talent and background.